19-year-old crushed by forklift chooses to amputate bottom half of his body to save his life

A brave teenager was forced to make the monumental decision to have half his body amputated to save his life.

Loren Schauers, 19, of Great Falls, Montana, was reportedly in the process of driving a forklift across a bridge when she fell, plummeting 50 feet to the ground. The teenager was trapped under the four-ton vehicle.

Loren, conscious the entire time, watched as his right arm was crushed and his lower body pinned down by the truck.

As a result of his injuries, the 19-year-old was forced to make a heartbreaking decision: amputate the lower half of his body or face certain death.

His girlfriend, Sabia, said goodbye to Loren six times while he was in the hospital. Doctors repeatedly told her that she would not live another day.

And yet he somehow managed to pull through. The couple, who had been together for 18 months at the time of the accident, got engaged earlier this year.

The chose
“It was not a difficult decision to have half of my body amputated, it was basically a choice between living or dying,” Loren explained.

“With Wise One making sure to stay by my side no matter what and all of my immediate family around me, it really wasn’t a difficult choice for me!”

Her accident took place in September 2019, when Loren was forced to drive over the edge of a bridge to accommodate passing cars. However, the structure collapsed under him and, although he tried to free himself from the truck, his leg became entangled in the seat belt.

The vehicle rolled three times before landing on top of him, causing serious injuries. Doctors tried to save his lower limbs, including his right hip, genitals and left thigh, but his pelvis was too crushed. They couldn’t save his sperm either.

Wise Bride explained, “There were many heartfelt, tearful, and sad conversations in the span of the first month of his hospital stay.

“The first time we said goodbye was before his surgery, but he still had his intubator in, so he was writing to us because he couldn’t speak.

“The night before his surgery, he wrote ‘I love you’ on a piece of paper as it could have been our last night together. I still have that piece of paper today.

The doctors said that he was going to die, we had a goodbye conversation and then he didn’t die.

“He sucked, to put it bluntly, we hated him. His health was bothering us, like ‘haha, we’re fine now, but we’re going to die soon, so everyone will be sad,’ but then he lived.”

The road to recovery
Needless to say, Loren underwent a recovery process of epic proportions. Yet through it all, he kept his will to get ahead and defied the doctors’ expectations.

Initially, they had said he would be in the hospital for at least 18 months, but he was released after three, including four weeks in rehab.

Of his battles, Loren said, “My best advice to anyone going through something like this is that you can’t focus on the things you can’t have and live your life to the fullest with what you have.”

What a truly inspiring young man. I can only imagine how a life-changing accident must impact someone, and in this regard, Loren has shown herself to be truly brave.